CineCoffee Box Office Report 2014Published: January 7, 2015
By this time, you would have been really tired of many flicks claiming 100Crore collection and many crossing beyond it. As the year comes to an end, it has been a plus-double century as 210 films released. It is really great and nice to share the feeling as Tamil film buffs, but what turns us slightly disappointed is that only ten films among these huge league has managed to benefit everyone in the trade circles. Here is the list of movies that top the box office charts.
1. Kaththi – The powerful combination of AR Murugadoss and Vijay came back with this film and managed to recreate history. The film showcased a serious social issue of corporate Vs farming problems and Vijay’s acting prowess gained huge laurels. The film tops the box office charts with an incredulous collection.
2. Velai Illa Pattadhaari – Dhanush’s gift to all the distributors and theatre owners who incurred loss with his previous films, though he wasn’t the producer of those movies. Not alone as an actor, but Dhanush proved to be a successful producer as well with VIP.
3. Manja Pai – You might believe it. But this is the fact that Manja Pai has made a whopping collection in box office as it clicked well in city and rural areas. The film starred Vemal, Lakshmi Menon and Raj Kiran in lead roles.
4. Goli Soda – When the film was released along with big tickets like Vijay’s Jilla and Ajith Kumar’s Veeram, Thirrupathi Brothers and the strong content of this film delivered by cinematographer-director Vijay Milton took it greater heights.
5. Sathuranga Vettai – Yet another sudden surprise of this year and all credit goes to debutant Vinoth’s narration and powerful dialogues. The film is produced by Manobala and Thirrupathi Brothers completed the huge spell of hat-trick success with this film starred Sathuranga Vettai fame Natty aka Natarajan.
6. Thegidi– What made the film special is that such genres were uncommon in Tamil cinema and only Hollywood possessed such assets. Debutant Ramesh, winner of Nalaiya Iyakkunar came up with a promising film based on different theme and laced it with appealing screenplay. Ashok Selvan and Janani Iyer performed the lead roles with perfection.
7. Yaamirukka Bayamey – No doubt! This horror-comedy holds special mention not alone for its commercial aspects, but managed to offer something new on the lines of horror as there it broke the stereotypical formulae. The film is directed by debutant Deekay and produced by Eldred Kumar of RS Infotainment starring Krishna, Oviya, Rupa Manjari and Karunakaran in lead roles.
8. Mundasupatti – Vishnu Vishal had a decent comeback with this film set in the backdrops of 80s in the fictional village of Mundasupatti. Fox Star Studios produced this film and now the plans are going for its sequel as well.
9. Naaigal Jaakirathai – It would be an unforgettable in the career of Sibiraj and his journey of 14 years in Tamil cinema as actor witnessed the first success. Thanks to the concept of having the dog play lead role and Sibiraj did a decent performance alongside this Belgium Shepherd that drew more crowd to the theatres.
10. Jigarthanda – It’s really a hard task to outperform one’s own film, especially a debut, but Karthik Subbaraj marked a tremendous attempt with Jigarthanda that wiped of his previous record Pizza and took him to the next level.