Sarath’s final twist: Pact with SPI cancelledPublished: October 20, 2015
A day after the bitterly fought Nadigar Sangam elections, former president R Sarath Kumar added a final twist to the tale, by stating that the association’s pact with SPI Cinemas, which was a bone of contention between the two warring teams, was cancelled last month itself.
“The deal with SPI Cinemas was cancelled on September 29. I am deeply hurt by baseless allegations levelled against me during the course of the campaigning for the Nadigar Sangam elections”, he said.
He added: “I wanted to clear these baseless accusations levelled against me because I have given 33 years of my life to service. These allegations have been bothering me. However, I reiterate that this agreement is totally beneficial to the South Indian Artistes Association. It is one of the best agreements that could be drawn up.”
When reporters asked why he did not reveal it to the media before the elections, the actor said that he was not sure how it would be construed.
“I was confident of winning the election and I thought I must announce it at that time. Moreover, had I announced it before the polls, they (Pandavar Ani) would have claimed it as their victory. But, today, I want to come clean on the deal,” he said.